Necrotalk - Home Support Necrotalk!  

Home UserCP Members Register Calendar FAQ
Learn how you can support Necrotalk.com today!

Go Back   Necrotalk.com > The Boneyard > Necromancer Guild

Old 11-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
kazman32

Default Necro's still the best class for end game mobs solo?

With the addition of mercs, do you think necro's are still the class that are able to take down the hardest mobs solo? Thinking of restarting and want to be able to eventually solo some of the harder mobs.
kazman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Meph

Depends what you define as "hardest mobs". If you mean non summoning trash mobs, then sure. Necros are one of the best if not the best solo class to kill hardest mobs solo.

If by hardest mobs you mean high level summoning nameds to farm loot then no. Necros are able so solo nameds with pet tanking/summon kitting but our craptastic mitigation is the reason we'll never be high up there with classes like SK's/Clerics/Whatever.

We don't get as much out of mercs as some other classes but they're still very usefull and it love them for rezzes, buffs & heals when i'm too slack to kite.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
kazman32

Yes I guess I was refering to mobs that summon, my necro was 66 and I owned anything that couldn't summon, but I was having a hard time learning the summon kite technique, so in your opinion maybe a sk with a cleric merc would be the top's for soloing th big named mobs that summon, what about a shaman with a tank merc? With slow and heals wouldn't they be effective as well?

thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Meph

I guess both combos would work, shamans are is extremely powerfull right now. Not sure how effective merc tank aggro generation capabilties are tho. Shammys generate quite a bit aggro if they go all out dps.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Tryal Anderror
Sith Lord

I think you'll find the Best Soloer is a Cleric with a Cleric Merc.

Our Key has always been DPS and Longevity, we could kill something fast enough and have enough mana that we could actually do the 1 million damage or whatever was considered awesome back then.

The key to cleric soloing though is that they can heal themselves literally forever, and the Cleric Merc just raises that bar.

I'll have to re-work these numbers, but prior to the Expansion, I figured we could kill anything that does less than approximately 650DPS to our Pet. If it does less than that, then we can infinitely heal the pet and eventually the mob will die.

For Clerics though that DPS number is more like 2000DPS that they can heal on a virtually infinite basis, and adding the Cleric Merc in, you're probably above 2500...and since they can mitigate way better than our Pet to begin with...it's even more compared to us.

(As a vague reference, On Chaliak, our Pet normally buffed with no toys takes about 750DPS, a solteris geared Ranger only takes 350 DPS from the same mob)

Something like a Paladin or SK will eventually go OOM against a strong target, and a Mage or Beastlord, despite having a much better Pet, will also eventually go OOM trying to heal it.

Shaman are still capped by their mitigation which, while much better than ours, simply isn't at a Plate class level, which is where the merc Tank comes into play.

So really it comes down to what Type of Mob you're referring to now... If you're talking about a 10 Million HP Mob that hits for 1500, you're probably still looking at a Cleric as the winner.
If you're talking about a 750khp Mob that hits for 2500, It might be an SK or Pally.

Our strength is still there in those old school mobs who hit under 2k, because our pet can actually tank it, particularily our new one, but out real strength may now be in the complete burn down of a Target.

If a mob is more in the 250k-500k range but hits for like 3-4k then we're now in a DPS burndown area that only we can really do.

the DPS would be too much for a Cleric to stand up against, a Merc tank probably would still get eaten up, so you'd need a real tank like an SK or Pally...but then a Merc Cleric probably couldn't keep them up either because the SK or Pally simply has to tank it for too long due to limited DPS, like 2-3 minutes.

Our Unique oppurtunity here is that we can now do Burst damage which is almost triple what we used to be able to and apply it all faster than we used to be able to too.

So, Consider, Merc tank, Pet, Epic, Swarm Pets all Activated...Throw them all on, Load on 8-10 DoTs as fast as possible. Robe click, 3rd Spire click, Glyph click... Now we just have to hold aggro for a little while so the mob doesn't regen while the DoTs hurt him.
Luckily Sony has now given us 3 Harmshields to let us coast for 54 Seconds.

This total burndown may be our niche, We can get to 6000+ DPS in these little bursts and just smoke something down is a flurry of chaos and invulnerability that no one else can come close too. We're the only class in the game that can do real damage while we are Immune to attack.

So while this isn't going to be the big Gods or something with 10 million HP, This seems to mean that we can smoke down the Bosses of group missions and things of that nature, including a lot of the loot dropping named in SoD.
As long as something is under about 400khp, It's DPS output may turn out to be just plain irrelevant to us.
Tryal Anderror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
kazman32

Thank you very much for your input, I have been gone along time I didn't even know cleric's had pet's, and they could dps, I knew they were tough to kill but you brought up some good points, I take it that alot of the big big mobs would be unslowable thereby making it harder for shaman's to tank since there armor is less than a cleric's or sk or pally for that matter.
Sponsored Links (Log-in to remove Ads)
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 AM   #7
Vanlor
Dots up on EVERY TIME!

Are our aa HS and spell HS not linked then? Or is it like someone was saying about Deathpeace, where, if you cast the spell it does not grey out the aa, but if you cast the aa it greys out the spell?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:09 AM   #8
kazman32

How would a necro with a healer merc fare? could the necro dot and heal pet while cleric is healing pet as well? or would the necro pet not be able to keep enough aggro?
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Mystiqat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlor View Post
Are our aa HS and spell HS not linked then? Or is it like someone was saying about Deathpeace, where, if you cast the spell it does not grey out the aa, but if you cast the aa it greys out the spell?
with the duration of the spell why would it matter?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Knutplate
Now serving number......

We aren't the top big game hunters, but we can still be unreliably effective.

I usually keep a raid buffed and fully tricked out pet bagged incase I come across something interesting.

So far my biggest solo in SoD has been Blacklade Lorkis (sp) in FoS. It took 2 pets and my level 1 merc to drop him, but it was a win nevertheless.

With new pet AAs and heals, I think that it would be a little easier.

I'm guessing the same mob might be easier for another classes, such as a mage, SK, ranger, but there are still a lot of classes that wouldnt have been able to touch him.
Advertisement