Necrotalk - Home Support Necrotalk!  

Home UserCP Members Register Calendar FAQ
Learn how you can support Necrotalk.com today!

Go Back   Necrotalk.com > The Boneyard > Necromancer Guild

Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Arkaron
Diet Coke of Evil

Default New & returning Player General Info part II

Welcome back!

I retired in 2007-2008 and came back in February 2012, so my own thread is now in need of updating. Thank you everyone who contributed when this thread was new and those of you who continued to post in my absence.

Useful Links

Samanna's Reference Desk/The Spirit Realm. Shaman forums with everything you see here and information to keep you busy for hours.
13th Floor Item Database
Mapfiend Maps for in-game atlas. Never get lost again! Check out the map FAQ in the general section.
Allakhazam's
Rasper's Guides on the most recent expansions.

/Claim Items

Totally broke? Gear hopelessly out of date? Dozens of levels behind? Type /claim and see what is available to you. Verdant Hedgerow Leaf and other mounts can be claimed on multiple characters, and gives you a topiary lion mount that's quite fast and increases your hp/mana while you use it. If you have an old mount, sell it back for the cash. Claim items also include Experience Potions.

Server Merges and Character Services
Depending on how long you've been away, servers were merged twice. If you are unhappy with your current server, ask around here and see if you might be more compatible somewhere else. It's relatively inexpensive to move. For a fee, you can also change your name, character's gender (so all you accidental lady lizards can have a sex change) or race, as long as your race/class combination remains compatible.

Flag/Key Changes
Access to many zones is based on level now, not keys or flags. Newer expansions still have these requirements, but older content is open.

46: The Howling Stones, Old Sebilis, Cobalt Scar.
55: Veeshan's Peak, Vex Thal, Sleeper's Tomb, locked areas of the Temple of Ssraeshza
57: Bastion of Thunder, Halls of Honor, The Temple of Marr, Tower of Solusek Ro, Drunder, The Fortress of Zek, Yxxta, Kod`taz
60: All Elemental Planes, Uqua, Ikkinz
62: Plane of Time, Inktuta, Qvic
65: Txevu, Tacvi
68: Anquish
70: Dreadspire, Demiplane of Blood
72: Theater of Blood, Deathknell

SPELLS

1-90 are now purchasable in the Plane of Knowledge library. If you have access to rank 2 of spells, check the Bazaar first and see if someone's selling the rank 2 for cheaper than you'd get the standard version from a vendor.

Illusionless Lich
Lich is now two buffs, one with an illusion component and another with the mana regen/hp loss buff. Click off the illusion buff if you don’t want to be a skeleton anymore. Lich will also hold through zoning, and you can block any beneficial buff you want from landing on yourself or your pet.

Pets will zone with you and high level pets no longer require a peridot to cast. Bone chips stack to 100 now. Pets will no longer vanish after you have been logged out for more than 30 minutes! This means they keep gear you have given them after you camp out.

Augments
Your gear will come with augment slots. Augments are items that enhance your existing gear and can add to the longevity of your pieces. There are literally thousands of augments in the game. Here is a link to the quest augment thread in the library section. Generally, group gear has type-7 augment slots; raid gear has type-8 augment slots; weapons have type-4 augment slots; tradeskilled stuff has a very large variety of type-specific slots. You will want to check out the current Hot Zones which have overarching quests for decent augments associated with them, in addition to bonus experience and level appropriate gear.

Out of Combat (or “ooc”, “quick regen”) Regen
Kicks in shortly after a mob dies and allows you to regenerate mana, hp and endurance more quickly than before. There is a new icon near your name & health/mana bar. When in combat it is crossed swords. When cooling down from combat (or moving around), it is a blue orb and a 30 second timer displays and counts down. When debuffed (blocking OOC) the icon is a yellow/red tear. When in OOC is a golden orb. When in OOC you regenerate around 3-4% of your total health/mana/endurance capacity per tick ensuring it takes 3 minutes or less to go from 1hp/1mana to full. You must be imobile and sitting (or on a mount) for OOC to kick in.

General Channels
If you start over, you’ll be put into these channels automatically. The option to join is also underneath the General options tab of your UI. On some servers, this is a bit like slumming. On others, it’s a great place to find groups. Your mileage may vary. You can talk to people on other servers by typing ;tell servername.playername. You can join us by typing serverwide.necrotalk: necrotalk.

Potions
You can purchase potions from vendors, as well as several kinds of Shaman made potions. Vendor potions include: haste, heal over time, instant / direct heals, hp buffs, and at higher levels an hp/mana regenbuff. Post-70 you can use some new Tonics that give you a buff that will add a large nuke proc to your spell casts. You can find potion vendors near the fishing pond in Plane of Knowledge. You can see a list of what potions are player made at EQTraders. Some useful ones for us are:

Distillate of Antidote: Kills Tash/Malo, which will keep you from going into out of combat regen. Super handy to have around.
Distillate of Skinspikes: Damage shield potion. Nice for soloing summoning monsters and some aspects of pvp.
Experience Potions: There are two that cycle through the game each year so if you miss one, you can get it next time. The anniversary quest appears in March and goes through mid-April, depending on how many broken patches Sony sends us. The holiday quest appears sometime in December and lasts until just after the new year. I believe you can do each quest only once per character.

Some important names of necro friendly potions to search for in the bazaar, or to look on vendors. Use "find" function in the game to locate potion vendors in Plane of Knowledge if you have ample cash and nobody is selling in the bazaar. Potions are tiered in roman numerals, increasing in benefit and having minimum required level for usage. Buff potions have a 30 minute duration that cannot be extended with any form of AA.

Distillate of Spirituality - beastlord type buff gives health and mana regen.
Distillate of Celestial Healing - cleric type heal over time lasting 5 ticks and nicely powerful
Distillate of Divine Healing - cleric type instant heal
Distillate of Health - cleric type Armor Class and Hit Point buff; doesnt stack with merc buffs
Tonic of Resonant Fire - Buff that gives you a nuke proc when you cast spells (there are poison/disease/magic/cold versions also)

Hey, It Works From A Bag!

All potions, distillates & tonics now click from inside bags (I was stunned to find this out) and other stuff does too, like our orbs, lifeshards, etc. This is also true to item clickies or old gear like Tacvi Dagger, elemental pants, Time items, all that good stuff. Dust off your bank and go to town. All you have to do it make a hotkey.

Charms
A charm is an extra inventory slot. Some common charms are Serpent Seeker’s Charm of Lore, Tainted Heartstone, Tinmyn's Oil Can. For 99.9% of charms, you cannot see the stats of the charm unless it is equiped on your character...It's not broke.

Tutorial
Can give you a good handle on how the game has changed since you left. Don’t leave without finishing your free skull charm.

Tribute
In every home town there will be a tribute master. If you are in a guild, you can also find a Tribute master inside your guild hall. Tribute masters allow you to temporarily buy certain effects, so long as you have enough tribute points to maintain them. You can get points by cashing in plat or droppable items. ALT + U will bring up the Tribute window. Be sure to turn it off when you’re not fighting. Here is the link to a tribute FAQ found in the general section.

The Bazaar

Luclin introduced the Bazaar, which is divided into two areas: players buying items (/trader) or selling them (/barter). The Bazaar is one of the easiest ways to build up cash, since frequently players with more money than sense are buying obscure, yet easy to farm items. Check /barter when you pass through bazaar and see what people are looking for. Often you will run across items people want while you level, especially since the recent tradeskill system revamp, which you can read about at EQTraders.

If you want to look for an item, type /bazaar and use the search field and filters to find stuff. You can also sort by stats, like hp or mana, regen, etc. If you want to sell your items, you need to buy a Trader's Satchel from Merchant Tekrama. You can transfer items and money from one of your characters to an alt by using the shared bank.

Planes of Power

When you are strong enough to fight in Nightmare and Innovation, keep "gnarled wood" and "an elaborate hinge" for your epic.

Plane of Fire is nice. Fire "tables" are a great way to get 65+, with arguably diminishing returns as you level out of range.

If you go to Time, clicky items to look out for will be

Elemental Silk Pant Pattern (pyrocruor)
Wand of Impenetrable Force (force shield rune)
Wand of the Vortex (annul magic)
Ossein of Limitless Time (embracing darkness)

Legacy of Ykesha

You’ll need Ykesha for Epic 1.5, and this may very well be the only reason to have the expansion if you are higher level. If you’re starting over, Ykesha can be a nice place to level. If you want, in your 50s you can go to Torgain Mines and get the ore you need for your epic by kiting mobs near the bridge.

Gates of Discord

While you probably need to be in your 50s to kite effectively in Natimbi, Discord is the ultimate in go away and leave me alone, since most players are terrified of anything that doesn’t fall over when they look at it. But not you, Necromancer!

You can kite almost anywhere in Discord, though if you leveled untwinked you’ll notice everything hits like a truck here. Some camps of interest are:

Natimbi (shores, out in the ocean is fun also)
Riwwi (arena)
Ferubi (too many summons, but can still be rewarding to poke around in that Mission: Impossible sort of way)
Barindu (sewers are adjacent, as are Vxed/Tipt)
Vext/Tipt (kite in Vxed, get flagged for Kod’Taz in Tipt)
Kod’Taz (also gives you access to Ikkinz raids and Yxtta, a fun zone to kite in)

If you’re a masochist, you may also be interested in Discord’s overarching quest, Breakdown In Communications. Like many things in EQ, BiC isn’t so much difficult as it is time consuming. The resulting augment is still the best type 4 available in the game; most players will place it in their epic 1.5s

Lost Dungeons of Norrath

Here's how to stop the yellow Wayfarer Brotherhood spam.

Equipment mods, stats, etc
Here is a great link explaining all this stuff you see on armor now.

Class Armor
Does it still exist? Very much so. Check out this library topic.

Mercenaries are here! Check out the FAQ in the general section for more info.

Check out this library link for guides / faq's / info!

There is nobody within my level range to group with. What do I do?

Actually, the level range you can group with is quite large. The generic formula is:
(your level x 1.5)+1 round up = highest level player you can group with and get experience
...so if you are level 40, that would be (40 x 1.5)+1 = 61
...so if you are level 50, that would be (50 x 1.5)+1 = 76
...so if you are level 52, that would be (52 x 1.5)+1 = 79
...so if you are level 54, that would be (54 x 1.5)+1 = 82
...so if you are level 56, that would be (56 x 1.5)+1 = 85
...so if you are level 57, that would be (57 x 1.5)+1 = 87
...so if you are level 58, that would be (58 x 1.5)+1 = 88
...so if you are level 59, that would be (59 x 1.5)+1 = 90

If you stick with current hotzones as you level, you will very very quickly be within range to group with level 90 players. Granted, your level 59 contributions in level 90 content will be minimal - this is called power leveling.

How experience is divided amongst the group is computed one way for normal xp, and another way for AA xp. It doesn't matter what other group members have their AA/Normal xp set on...the only thing that matters is what you have set.

For normal xp, it is very beneficial to group with high level players killing high level mobs. The XP seems to be divided roughly equally to the group, so being the lowest player in a group would be very advantageous. Level xp seems like a hard-coded number of xp points per mob is awarded...the higher level of mob, the more points, etc.

For AA xp, the xp earned to the group based both on the level con of the highest player v. the mob, and then the xp is distributed so the highest level player gets the lions share, and it whittles down to the lowest level player. If there is a 10 level gap or more, the low level player will receive extremely pathetic AA xp compared to the highest level player.

NoteThere are some additonal rules:
The above level span maximums only apply for gaining normal (level) experience. For gaining Alternate Advancement (AA) the level span rules above still apply but there are additional restrictions. In order for the lowest level players in a group to earn AA from kills, the highest level player in the group must also be within xp range of the mob to earn experience.

This prevents say, level 85 players from grouping with level 56 players and going to a level 60 area and completely shredding entire zones, diverting all the experience to the level 56 players. You can (and should) do this for normal xp; but to get aa xp your high level player must be fighting stuff that is at least green con.

Advice for getting the most out of your time:
Group with high level players and keep AA turned OFF - you will level very, very fast
Solo with AA turned ON, you will gain AA very, very fast

There is an innate AA bonus applied to all players dependant on how many AA you have purchased. This is a sliding scale bonus that starts off very high, and slowly tapers down to a 0% bonus.

At 0 AA earned, you will receive AA bonus of 250%! This bonus declines until you have earned 1500 AA, and the bonus is eliminated. The top amount where the bonus gets eliminated gets boosted with each expansion.

For bonus xp stacking - if you are getting 250% aa bonus and burn lesson of the devoted (100%), then your total bonus will be 350%. If you do both of these while during a special xp bonus promotion of 50%, your total bonus will be...400%. The bonus' for xp stack, but they do not multiply.

Also, returning players likely can type in /claim and score a stack of 100% xp potions, free. Any potion xp bonus will not stack with lesson of the devoted (1st year veteran aa, usable every 20hrs for +100% xp bonus for 30 minutes). Same is true for any/all marketplace xp potions you may purchase, or any potions you may receive via the Legends of Norrath TCG.

Last edited by Arkaron; 08-07-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Updated some since Arkaron appears to have retired
Arkaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Siluuael

Here are some of the things I thought of for a guide to returning necros. Some of them are pretty basic, and more of a guide to new players, but depending on how long someone has been gone, a few of these might be things they just forgot about.

I think some consolidate faction discussion would be very useful for someone who had not played in a few expansions, specifically:
- SoF (easiest solo method and fastest route - if different - for each faction. relative value of the factions)
- TBS (missions, orum, faction. probably can link or copy/paste from other posts here)
- TSS (wraithguard faction for battered shield of the fallen guard)

Aug List:
There are a ton of lists on evilgamer.net, thesteelwarrior.org, etc. of soloable / duo / groupable melee augs, but not too many that broadly cover caster-specific augs in the 50+ hp/mana range or with decent mod2s like avoidance, etc. Some decent ones that don't require flags (like Anguish):
- Runed Diamond (Steppes / Vald)
- Blighted Stone of the Heathen (Unrest instance)
- Polished Blue Softstone (WoS hotzone aug)
- Orb of Mystic Fury (Sunderock / Dire / Vergalid quest)
- Emerald of Savage Fury (Sverag - Restrained Cereton - easily duoable with a mage)
- Foundation Stone Chip (Sverag - Restrained Cereton)
- Left Eye of Ateleka (Attiki - Rockstorm)
- Right Eye of Ateleka (attiki - Phobolyten)
- Relic Shopkeeper's Charm (arcstone quest)
- Jonas Dagmire's Skeletal Hand (barren coast - link to guide here)

Tribute:
I run into people all the time that don't know about or don't use tribute. Not saying you need to give away any secrets about what items are the easiest to farm but also give good tribute (trib data is in lucy/alla and covered in a few threads here), but at least a basic description of how it works, where to configure it, how to turn it on/off, and how not to be discouraged when you burn through 30k trib because you forgot to turn it off while afk in the GL or bazaar overnight (just did that yesterday... and not for the first time).

Potions:
Since the changes on the last patch, it should be mentioned in the guide that there are now vendors that sell high-end HoT, Health and Bst crack potions, the latter of which are a nice boon to the soloing necro.

Clickies:
There are some very easy to get clickies these days. Include a list, not of PoTime or Demi clickes, but ones that necros can solo/duo, like the Dark Void Shoulders (Form of Protection 1), Faithful Templar's Belt (Form of Rejuvenation 1), etc. that provide some useful benefit.

How to get rid of Tash/Malo:
I am constantly surprised by how many people I meet who, even at lvl 80, don't know about Distillate of Antidote potions, or using junk buffs to clear out your first buff slot or two in order to leave them open for Malo, then using cancel magic on yourself to get rid of it. Lots of people who aren't in the raiding crowd never learn of such things unless someone tells them.

Pet Toys:
List the latest ones, so people know what to search for in the bazaar (Prime Plate, Prime Belt, etc.)

Pet Foci:
Todwelt's spreadsheet at then end of the Pet Foci stickied thread is enormously useful.

Slowsil
- 88 Ogre Shaman (box)
Imaim - 92 Barbarian Warrior (alt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by encephalitis View Post
The Fail is strong with this one.
Siluuael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Log-in to remove Ads)
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Felicite
Queen Bitch

Send a message via AIM to Felicite

You know when you have been retired a long time when you only have two of the things (ok three if you count my Tribute which I likely left running) mentioned in this thread. So old.

But, seriously, that's a great outline of topics I read about all the time.

I walked away in DoDH.. If I returned today my immediate questions as I level to 80 would be:

What Factions do I care about (how much of this can I do while I level)?

What AA do I care about (am I blithely unaware of something critical like Death Peace)?

How do I get new gear (how do I update my foci including pet)?

How do I get my spells?

How do I get around (Is there some trick I need to know about)?
Felicite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Jebasiz
Administrator, Community Leader, Former Necromancer Correspondent...Nt complaint Department.

Spell acquisition methods. Quests..which ones to bother with, which to skip.(efreeti death visage, would be one to note).

hand aug quest.
erm..any clickies returning people may want.
maybe a rundown of bazaar function
tradeskill quests.

Rifting sucked, back for more.
Jebasiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Azile

Any ETA on this thread being done? =)

It'd really help out a lot.. things have changed majorly since I last played and most of the info on this board is either out of date or focused on the current end-game.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Arkaron
Diet Coke of Evil

Next few days, pointy haired boss being especially retarded lately.
Arkaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #7
Maelga
Necromom

I'm a returning player, who hasn't played seriously since Velious. Here are some things I learned recently that were surprising

Pets are not aggro magnets.
When you invis, your pet doesn't poof.
Pets will zone with you.
You can group with any level person by shrouding.
A level 5 goblin-shrouded person can do most or sometimes all of the Slipgear aug, which is amazing.
Don't leave the tutorial without getting the skull charm.
You can level 100 times faster than in the old days--literally. I took a year to get to 45 the first time I played--I made 50 on a new mage in 2 days.
Hot zones have quests and random drops associated with them that are pretty good.
Evil and good factions don't make much difference any more.
Out of combat regen has changed the game in ways I can't even describe.
Don't waste a lot of time on twink gear--the quest gear at level 20 in Blightfire, and at 45 in Goru Kar Mesa is outstanding.
Tradeskill armor and researched spells generally require only one dropped component now--many people will hit combine for free if you have that component.
Charmed pets now give full experience as long as you do at least one point of damage to the mob you are fighting; however, your charmed pet now does way less damage.

Right off the top of my head, that's what surprised me this week. Hope that helps

Edit: You must belong to a guild to use the guild hall, but the guild lobby is open to all. There is a guy in the guild lobby who will sell you a component that you give to the corpse summoner, who will then summon all your corpses to the lobby. Many buffers and rezzers hang out in the guild lobby. If you do belong to a guild, there is a person there who will sell you a component so you can use the guild portal to different places.

There have been some huge changes in the way AA experience works. If you are fighting mobs near your level (that is, dark blue or better) you can make AAs nearly as fast at lower levels as at higher levels. This means that instead of levels > all, as it was when I played before, now you can get critical AAs as you level up. A friend told me that his toon at 75 with hardly any AAs was nearly unplayable in the new zones. A mid-level toon grouped with a high-level toon will not get big AAs anymore.

Last edited by Maelga; 01-28-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Maelga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
DeadLikeMe

Send a message via Skype™ to DeadLikeMe

This is something that I've heard said:
If you are planning on getting the Artisan's Charm, try getting it before your tradeskills are 200 since it's harder to level up the charm after that.
DeadLikeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
scrat
Super Admin

Here are some search links @ lucy for the most recent quested group gear. Follow the alla's link on an item to find out how to obtain gear & related quests/faction.

Level 65-70 armor links The Buried Sea
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....Energeiac+silk

Level 70-75 armor links The Buried Sea
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....energeiac+silk

Level 75 armor links The Buried Sea http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....energeiac+silk

Level 80 (tier 2 group) Secrets of Fadwer *buyable*
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....xt=glossy+silk

Level 80 (tier 3 group) Secrets of Fadwer
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....=necrotic+silk

Level 80 (tier 4 group) Secrets of Fadwer (4 variations)
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....rotic+firesilk
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....otic+frostsilk
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....otic+terrasilk
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....rotic+windsilk
Level 80 (tier4+ group) Secrets of Fadwer
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....ic+kaleidosilk
**the above links may not work yet due to items not being updated in lucy, but do exist**
Edge-
Walkers
scrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
scrat
Super Admin

This is a great idea, thanks for picking up the job! Here is some updated/more info:

Out of Combat (or “ooc”, “quick regen”) Regen:
Kicks in shortly after a mob dies and allows you to regenerate mana, hp and endurance more quickly than before. There’s no way to describe how this works without getting super wordy, so log in and try it.

There is a new icon near your name & health/mana bar. When in combat it is crossed swords. When cooling down from combat (or moving around), it is a blue orb and a 30 second timer displays and counts down. When debuffed (blocking OOC) the icon is a yellow/red tear. When in OOC is a golden orb. When in OOC you regenerate around 3-4% of your total health/mana/endurance capacity per tick ensuring it takes 3 minutes or less to go from 1hp/1mana to full. You must be imobile and sitting (or on a mount) for OOC to kick in.

Potions:
You can purchase potions from vendors, as well as several kinds of Shaman made potions. Vendor potions include: haste, heal over time, direct heals, hp buffs, and at higher levels an hp/mana buff. You can find potion vendors near the fishing pond in Plane of Knowledge. You can see a list of what potions are player made at EQTraders. Some useful ones for us are:

Distillate of Antidote: Kills Tash/Malo, which will keep you from going into out of combat regen. Super handy to have around.
Distillate of Skinspikes: Damage shield potion. Nice for soloing summoning monsters and some aspects of pvp.
Experience Potions: There are two that cycle through the game each year so if you miss one, you can get it next time.

Some important names of necro friendly potions to search for in the bazaar, or to look on vendors. Use "find" function in the game to locate potion vendors in Plane of Knowledge if you have ample cash and nobody is selling in the bazaar. Potions are tiered in roman numerals from I to XIII increasing in benefit and having minimum required level for usage. Buff potions have a 30 minute duration that cannot be extended with any form of AA.

Distillate of Spirituality - beastlord type buff gives health and mana regen.
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....f+spirituality
Distillate of Celestial Healing - cleric type heal over time lasting 5 ticks and nicely powerful
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....e+of+celestial
Distillate of Divine Healing - cleric type instant heal
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....late+of+divine
Distillate of Health - cleric type Armor Class and Hit Point buff
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/itemlist....late+of+health
Edge-
Walkers
scrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement