Necrotalk - Home Support Necrotalk!  

Home UserCP Members Register Calendar FAQ
Learn how you can support Necrotalk.com today!

Go Back   Necrotalk.com > The Boneyard > Hunting Grounds

Old 12-15-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
Aryse Andenter
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Aryse Andenter

Hot Spots are zones which give an experience bonus while xping there. SOE changes these zones periodically (as announced in patch messages).

The current hot spots and approximate level range are (as per the December 15th patch):

Shadeweaver's Thicket 1-30
Kurn's Tower 10-25
Unrest 15-30
Crystal Caverns 25-35
Solusek's Eye 25-45
Katta Castellum 30-60
Lower Guk 35-55
Nagafen's Lair 40-55
Umbral Plains 50-60
Old 12-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
Solaran_X

Ever notice how alot of the times, the Hot Spots are in areas that are difficult to get to?

In the last set, Chardok was for 55-60 and Grieg's End was for 50-55. But people turned Grieg's End into the 50-60 zone because no one wanted to run all the way to Chardok for XP.

Given how lazy some people are...the hot spots list will probably be like...

Shadeweaver's Thicket 1-30
Kurn's Tower 10-25
Unrest 15-30
Crystal Caverns 25-35
Solusek's Eye 25-45
Nagafen's Lair 40-55
Solaran_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Log-in to remove Ads)
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 05:59 AM   #3
Aryse Andenter
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Aryse Andenter

I thought that originally they were trying to increase traffic to zones they thought were underused. There was a lot of LoY zones that nobody went to before they were hot spots, for example. Same for GE and Chardok.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:51 AM   #4
stukka

Who cares where they make the "hot spots"?
If you want the exp bonus, then you should be willing to make a trip a little out of the way, and if not, then do the regular grind, ehh?
Besides, nowadays with the ease of travel (I remember back 5 1/2 years ago), there are no out-of-the-way places, most everywhere is easy to get to, for cry'in out loud
stukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 10:51 AM   #5
Astroshak

Actually, as a don-druid, non-wizard, I'd consider Western Wastes and its two zones (ToV, DN) to be "out of the way" . . .

But for the present Hot Spots? Puh-LEASE. They're hardly "out of the way" . . . Some of em are spots I take my alts to anyway (Crystal Caverns, for example).
Astroshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #6
Trudat

Starting at 51 I moved to Katta Castelum with the new hot zone move. Dinged 53 tonight. It's mindless exp! Go to the graveyard. Load your darkness (level 24/29 one) FD, Asystole, Splurt, BoD , lich, pet haste etc... if you cant get pet weapons you'll pick some up quick. Camp is easy with revolving names for the legionaires. Pull with darkness, throw on splurt, throw on asystole, then run alll the way up to the catacomb wall and send in pet. ( I usually send in pet at around 93% to keep agro down on pet)
There's 2 sets of legionaires that will assist. You can either FD pull and split them or if you have the mana (like me ) you can kill them both at the same time. DoT one up and make sure you keep darkness going on both of them and just kite them around the GY. Undead pop in the GY but WILL NOT attack you unless you attack them first. Note: There is a static red con mob in the GY....dont bother him! I've seen reports on other boards that he can hit for 4k PER HIT (he quads btw). Techniques: I use asystole because it gives a higher damage out put PER TICK than the level 49 or whatever level that is flame spell DoT. You may think...why not get the most overall damage for my mana?? Well, if you use asystole and sit alot your pet is alot less likely to get agro from the mob. I've worked many kites both ways so just take my word for it and use asystole =P.
Order of DoTs: Darkness, Splurt and then Asystole.
The reason for adding splurt before asystole is that in most instances you'll have the mob dead before splurt runs out. Asystole will almost ALWAYS run out before the fight is over. If you attach Splurt first you'll have higher output DPS at the end of the kite so your pet will have a harder time gaining agro, not to mention the actual kill will go faster.

Things to do so your pet doesnt get agro:
1. Apply DoTs in right order.
2. Make sure you sit and med while the mob runs towards you.(Sitting agro is like adding another DoT)
3. Dont send in pet too early-if you dont have all three dots on and the mob is at 93% dont send your pet til you get the last dot on. You wouldent believe how quick your pet will pull agro. These things dont hit super hard, but they WILL kill your pet.

Finallly: I've had some REALLY WEIRD pathing and warping bugs pop up here. I've been in the GY for the last couple days and have see at least 8 double kites where both mobs disapear. They warp back to their original spawn points, and have different names. I originally thought that the mobs I was killing ported to ZI and they would train me. This is not the case, however. If your mobs disapear mid-kite, just go get them again.
There's one wanderer who walks a U pattern....you'll figure out his walking pattern once you clear the camp a couple times.

I can clear this camp(7 MoBs), and be back to grave yard entrance just as the cycle restarts. This is some of the best exp I've seen so far. As an iksar necro I'm getting 1.5-2% per kill.

I think that's all =P

Good Luck!

-Tru

Old 12-21-2004, 03:17 PM   #7
skriim

Heres my post on katta hot zone on another board for those interested.

http://necro.eqclasses.com/viewtopic.php?t=4561

The condensed version:
Decent xp even at 58. they are fearable so ne need to agro kite unless you want to. Take a mule to sell droppables if you can.

Also a comment on the wierd "path" bug mentioned above. I have seen this bug also. It appears to be a wierd rollback bug. SOmetimes the mob will reappear at spawn point even after it has been killed. Annoying, but so far havent been hurt by it.

I intend to try killing some higher level mobs and see how that goes.
skriim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:38 AM   #8
Gnizmo

Quote:
Finallly: I've had some REALLY WEIRD pathing and warping bugs pop up here. I've been in the GY for the last couple days and have see at least 8 double kites where both mobs disapear. They warp back to their original spawn points, and have different names.
This is what I like to call "The changing of the guard". What happens is every hour, or 2 hours I forget which, all the guards despawn and respawn slightly different. I think they have a different hair color or something equally minor. This will happen regardless of whether or not the guards are agroed on anything. So it isn't so much a pathing issue, as it is a weird part of the zone.
Gnizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 12:29 AM   #9
Trudat

well...the times I've had my kites disapeer have been when a large lag spike hits. I've seen this not only when I'm kiting but also now after a duo I did with another necro three nights ago. He was kiting and I was medding and he said he lag spiked and 'poof' the mobs repop on their spawn points with different names. VERY WEIRD. It very well may be a 'changing of the guard'.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:44 AM   #10
splurticus

It's the "changing of the guard", named guards seem to respawn in different positions, so you see the names are different when you go back to find the one you were trying to kite when it happened. I'm pretty sure I've seen some of the guard names outside the bank also up near the graveyard and vice versa, so it may be zonewide, at least for the human guards. Haven't noticed if gnomes, halflings, or dwarfs do it.
Advertisement